How to effectively complain to Amazon Customer Service
As many of you guys know, I was so excited about the promotion for the FREE $50 value Baby Registry box mentioned here – still available! It was supposed to show up Friday and I wanted to write a post on my site detailing all the free items acquired through the promotion.
Instead Amazon shipped it to me without tracking information and it still hasn’t show up by Monday evening. So I decided to complain to Amazon customer service. I should mention now that I have done this many time and I am pretty much an expert so here are the rules.
1. Always type in your order number. Amazon makes you go through a workflow because you can live chat with someone that makes you select the order you are having an issue with. Despite doing this, the rep will always ask for your order number. As you can see from the above screenshot, this was the first thing I gave the rep.
2. Explain you have exhausted all other options. In the case of missing packages Amazon has this help page to explain what you should do. After reading this I realize that the rep will of course tell me the same things so I articulated them in my first comment.
3. Always be polite. These are real people with real feelings. If you swear at them they actually have the right to end the chat or in the case of a phone call, hang up on you.
4. Articulate everything clearly. Make sure you spell everything correctly too. You don’t have to get it right all the time, I know I have at least one grammatical error up there but do try. Sometimes you will get a rep from another country, likely India, and although they speak English some slang terms and ways we say things may not be familiar.
5. Rate your rep! If you have the time, rate your customer service experience, especially if your experience was pleasant. In this case I gave Pauline 5 stars across the board. Think of how many times at restaurants that we complain about this and that… Who takes the time to give a real compliment now and then? People are more eager to complain. So I take it upon myself to always say something when I come across exceptional service. You should too. 🙂
Guess I will just have to wait a little longer for my baby registry box. I can’t complain too much though it is free.Details. This post may contain affiliate links which support this site. Read our disclosure policy.